Monday, July 2, 2012

More of McKay

I'm kicking myself for not writing down more of what McKay has been saying lately. He is just so funny. These are a few of the conversations/situations we've had in the last couple weeks:

So, I rarely am able to use the restroom or shower alone these days. Well, it's been that way for the past 3 years and I'm quite used to it. I know most moms, if not all, are used to it - the lack of privacy and personal space. I'm not really expecting that to change anytime soon ... until THIS happened:
I'm about to get into the shower and McKay's in the bathroom with me. All of a sudden I feel a pinch on my leg and he says, "You're chubby Mommy!" WOW! Nothing like a brutally honest 2 year old, right?! Ha, I'm just going to assume he thinks it's a compliment since we tell Ev that a lot and love it about her. Nevertheless, I encouraged him to find something to do in my room and shut the bathroom door to shower in private :)
So, we had a conversations about how we talk about babies being chubby but it's not very polite/nice to talk about big grown-ups that way. So THEN, a few weeks later Brenan and I are getting McKay ready for bed in his room. He suddenly says to me, "You're not chubby! Chubby's not a nice word!" and Brenan told him that "Mommy is an elegant woman," to which McKay says, "Yay! Mommy's an alligator woman!"

On the days McKay does nap, he usually stays up pretty late. The other night he was having a hard time staying in bed because he'd napped earlier and so I sat with him on our front steps. He asks me, "Where is the sun?" and we had a long conversation about the sun and moon and stars and planets. I was getting pretty cold and wanted to try putting him to sleep again so I told him I was cold. He said, "You're not cold! I will warm you up!" and he wrapped his  little arms around me and squeezed me tight. It was one of those moments I never want to forget. When we did walk back inside, McKay exclaimed, "We're FREEZING!"

Walking into the mall today, we pass an older, mostly bald man. McKay asks (within earshot of the man) "Is that Jesus?!" I burst into laughter because there was ZERO resemblance, at least to the pictures we have around the house of Jesus.

We got some new Winnie the Pooh books from my mom around Easter time. McKay couldn't remember what the bear's name was so I told him "Winnie the Pooh" and he responded, "Oh! Lightning Mc Pooh!"

While in Canada, McKay was having a hard time staying in his room when we put him to be (of course, he didn't want to miss out on the party). One night he came out the room and Brenan said, "Excuse me?!" and gave him a stern look to which McKay replied, "But Dad, sometimes boys come out of their rooms."


McKay and I were sharing some blueberries for a snack. He said, "Are you sharing with me?"
Me: "Ya, I am!"
McKay: "That's very nice of you to share!"

McKay at counter eating some Kix for breakfast while playing with his birthday race cars. He looks over to Brenan standing in the kitchen and says, "Sweetie, you want a car?"

McKay mumbled something over and over yesterday that I could NOT understand. I said, "Sorry, I don't know what you're saying. Forgive me!" to which McKay responded, "I will some day!"

McKay, while we were home in Canada back in April, "All sorts of things are funny, Grayden, all sorts of things."

Outside playing catch in the front yard, McKay suddenly stops and says, "I'm honest... and jealous."

We've been taking the kids on a lot of runs since we bought a double jogging stroller. When we get back from pushing them, McKay likes to do his own runs on the sidewalk just in front of the house. He likes to race us. The other day after a run in the stroller he said, "You want to go on a race with me? After my mission, ok?"

McKay: "I want to be baptized and be a daddy."

McKay, saying a blessing over our breakfast (sitting at the counter next to the computer and the wipes) "Thank you can bless Mommy's computer that it won't break, and thank you can bless the wipes."

McKay, saying his prayers, "Thank thee we can bless blue blankie...but that's silly..."

McKay in the living room, doing is own thing... suddenly he says, "Pamplemouse juice..."

McKay: "Those are just my friends, but I need a brother, Mom."
Me: "You need a brother?"
McKay: "I DO need a brother!"

Brenan had his shirt off after exercising one morning. He was eating breakfast with McKay and McKay says, "Ooooh! Look at your belly button! It's so nasty and hairy!"


McKay: "I'm going to teach and preach the gospel yesterday.. like the missionaries do.."

While sitting in church as the sacrament bread is passed, McKay says, "When I take one, it makes Jesus happy. When I take two, it makes Jesus said."

I was singing Oh Canada this morning to McKay and Evalyn since yesterday was Canada Day. When I finished singing, McKay said, "I hear Jesus!"

The other Sunday McKay and Brenan ate some nachos. This warms my heart to begin with because almost every Sunday we'd eat nachos with cheese and guacamole growing up. Loved it. McKay says to me, "Nachos make me really happy!"

I was tucking McKay into bed the other night and was kind of leaning over him to fix his pillow and he said, "Oh! I thought you were going to baptize me!"

Last week (long after Father's Day), McKay says, "Happy Father's Day, Mommy!"




1 comment:

Amy Bolyard said...

McKay quote posts are seriously my favorite! What a funny dude.